Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025
US Air Force dreams of future weather warfare techniques.
In 2025, US aerospace forces can “own the weather” by capitalizing on emerging technologies and focusing development of those technologies to war-fighting applications. Such a capability offers the warfighter tools to shape the battlespace in ways never before possible. It provides opportunities to impact operations across the full spectrum of conflict and is pertinent to all possible futures. The purpose of this paper is to outline a strategy for the use of a future weather-modification system to achieve military objectives rather than to provide a detailed technical road map.
A high-risk, high-reward endeavor, weather-modification offers a dilemma not unlike the splitting of the atom. While some segments of society will always be reluctant to examine controversial issues such as weather-modification, the tremendous military capabilities that could result from this field are ignored at our own peril. From enhancing friendly operations or disrupting those of the enemy via small-scale tailoring of natural weather patterns to complete dominance of global communications and counterspace control, weather-modification offers the war fighter a wide-range of possible options to defeat or coerce an adversary. Some of the potential capabilities a weather-modification system could provide to a war-fighting commander in chief (CINC) are listed in table 1.
Technology advancements in five major areas are necessary for an integrated weather-modification capability:
- advanced nonlinear modeling techniques,
- computational capability,
- information gathering and transmission,
- a global sensor array, and
- weather intervention techniques.
Some intervention tools exist today and others may be developed and refined in the future.
- Air Force 2025, USAF Center for Strategy & Technology
- Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025
- An Operational Analysis for Air Force 2025: An Application of Value-Focused Thinking to Future Air and Space Capabilities
- 2025 Operational Analysis
- Aerospace Sanctuary in 2025: Shrinking the Bull’s-Eye
- Space Operations: Through The Looking Glass (Global Area Strike System)
- UAV Constellations
- Earthquake Weapon
If any of the links above do not work, copy the URL and paste it into the form below to check the Wayback Machine for an archived version of that webpage.